Playing fetch is one of the best games to play with your furry friend. To keep things interesting, many dog owners are constantly on the lookout for new toys, including different types of balls. If you’re thinking of using a golf ball on the next play date with your pooch, don’t. Without further ado, let’s get the answer to “Should dogs play with golf balls?”
No, dogs should not play with golf balls because these balls are small and get slimy when jostled in the mouth. A slimy golf ball can slip down the throat and cause your dog to choke. Golf balls are not safe for dogs because the liquid inside is toxic, and your furry friend will get seriously sick if the ball breaks in the mouth.
Our furry friends need entertainment just as much as we do, and toys are important to keep it fun and interesting. A simple toy can help your dog’s physical and mental development.
However, some toys are not safe for dogs, and a golf ball is one of them. Golf balls pose a real danger for dogs for the following reasons:
Can a dog choke on a golf ball?
Yes, dogs can choke on a golf ball because of its hard and slippery outer coating. When a dog gets hold of the ball in his mouth, the ball will get slimy, slip down his throat and become a choking hazard.
Large and medium-sized dogs are at a higher risk of choking on a golf ball, but small dogs should not play with a golf ball either. If you’re a golf enthusiast and you have a dog at home, you should keep the golf balls out of your dog’s reach.
Your dogs should also not be around you when you practice your shot in the backyard. The reason is that if you chip the ball to your furry friend, the ball can become wedged in your pooch’s throat and choke him or her.
When playing fetch, your dog will catch the ball and bring it back to you. Being slippery, the ball can get lodged in his throat when he’s running. The ball will choke your pooch or he might accidentally swallow it, and since dogs cannot pass a golf ball, the only way to get it out is through surgery.
Surgery is not only expensive, but your dog will also spend many months recovering.
Golf Balls Can Damage Your Dog’s Teeth
If you throw a golf ball for your dog to grab in the air, it can fall sharply onto his teeth, causing serious damage.
Golf balls are also dangerous for your dog’s oral health because your dog can break his teeth when chewing on a golf ball. Also, some chipped pieces can get lodged between your dog’s teeth and cause damage to the gums and cheeks.
A Golf Ball Can Damage Your Dog’s Esophagus and Intestines
Chipped pieces from a golf ball are also dangerous because they can perforate the esophagus or the intestines when ingested. This is also dangerous because you might have to take your four-legged friend for surgery.
Golf Balls Have Chemicals That Are Toxic to Dogs
Golf balls contain chemicals that are either toxic to dogs or can cause a serious allergic reaction. The chemicals include:
- Zinc acrylate
- Zinc oxide
- Benzoyl peroxide
If your dog shows signs of an allergic reaction, like drooling and panting a lot after chewing on one, call your vet right away for medical help.
How to Keep Your Pooch Safe from Golf Balls
Dogs enjoy playing fetch, and there is a list of safe balls and toys you and your furry friend can play with. However, if you love golf, you need to make sure that the golf balls are kept safely away from your dog, especially when you are not around.
The best way to do this is to observe the following safety precautions:
Don’t Play with a Golf Ball
The best way to ensure that your dog doesn’t choke or ingest chipped pieces from a golf ball is to avoid playing with them altogether.
Even if you’ve played with a golf ball many times before, it only takes one incident for things to go south. So, it’s best to stop using golf balls when playing with your dog.
If you’re practicing in the backyard, make sure that your dog is in the house because he or she might join you.
Keep Golf Balls Out of Your Dog’s Reach
Always make sure that your golf balls are safely stored out of your dog’s reach. Whatever you do, do not leave golf balls lying around the house because your beloved dog might choke on one when you’re not around.
This could be life-threatening because you won’t be around to dislodge the ball from your dog’s throat.
Also, your furry friend might swallow the ball without your knowledge, and if this happens, there’s no way for you to tell why your dog is experiencing digestive issues. With time, your dog will develop intestinal blockage, which could prematurely end its life.
Keep your golf balls safely locked on a high shelf or in any other place that your dog cannot get to.
How to Choose the Right Ball for Your Dog
There are many types of play balls for dogs that you can choose from. When looking for the right ball for your dog, you should pay close attention to the material used to avoid causing harm to your pooch.
The following is what you should look for when choosing the right ball for your dog:
- The right ball for your dog should not contain toxic lead or glue. Pay attention to the materials used in the making of the ball because some can cause a serious allergic reaction.
- The ball should be bigger than your dog’s mouth, making it impossible to carry around in the mouth.
- A good play ball for dogs should be made of special material that’s easy on dogs’ teeth.
- If you prefer a treat dispenser ball, the best ball should be non-toxic and made of natural rubber. The rubber must also be safe for the gums.
- Always go for mint-scented balls because they’re not only fun to play with but also keep your dogs’ teeth clean. These balls also prevent gum diseases and keep the mouth fresh.
- The best play balls for dogs should be made of durable rubber because your pooch won’t rip it apart and ingest the material. This is important, especially if the ball contains a squeaker.
- Don’t buy balls that have a single hole because they can cause an injury to your dog’s tongue or create a life-threatening suction.
- Finally, a good play ball must also be washable to get rid of dirt or any other material that can harm your furry friend.
Factors That Can Influence the Type of Play Ball You Get for Your Dog
If you have a high-energy dog like a beagle, always go for a ball that’s made of sturdy material. It’s also important to know the size of your pooch’s mouth to choose a ball that he won’t choke on.
For dogs that have playful personalities, a squeaky ball works perfectly because it keeps them intrigued. However, for large dogs or strong small dogs, choose a durable ball.
The dog’s age is something that you should keep in mind when choosing the right ball. Buy a rugged ball for puppies that are losing or growing teeth. Adolescent and adult dogs need a soft ball because their teeth are fully developed.
What Are The Best Play Balls for Dogs?
There are many types of play balls for dogs, depending on their size, preferences, and needs. Some of the best dog balls are:
- Chuckit! Ultra Ball for Dogs: This ball is durable, bouncy, and floats on water.
- JW Pet Original Treat Dispensing Dog Ball: This ball has holes that can be filled with treats or kibble to keep your dog entertained and stimulated. It is also bouncy and chew-resistant.
- Kong Extreme Ball Dog Toy: This ball is made of tough rubber that can withstand strong chewers. It is also puncture-resistant and bouncy.
- Wobble Wag Giggle Dog Ball: This ball makes funny sounds when rolled or shaken, which can grab your dog’s attention. It has six clutch pockets that make it easy for your dog to pick up and carry.
Should Dogs Play with Golf Balls? FAQs
Are tennis balls safe for dogs?
No, tennis balls aren’t safe for dogs because they have an abrasive outer coating that can damage your dog’s teeth. A tennis ball is also a choking hazard for large dogs.
Can a large dog pass a golf ball?
No, a large dog cannot pass a golf ball and surgery is the only solution for a dog that has swallowed one.
Should dogs play with golf balls? Dogs should not play with golf balls because of the reasons highlighted in this article. Your dog should not, at any given moment, play with a golf ball because it can choke on the ball, experience damage to the mouth or gums, or ingest dangerous chemicals.
Talk to your vet or dog trainer to choose the right ball for your dog.